Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Daybreak

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-12-03

PostSubject: Band to sleeve Joondalup    Thu 03 Dec 2015, 12:10 am

Hi guys :)

has anyone had band removed and sleeve fitted? Mine band was done by Mr Dolan 7 years ago as a public patient, can I ask what the cheapest way to go about it is? I believe the wait list for public is very long ;/ I currently go to BMI Joondalup for adjustments, thanks in advance :)
Back to top Go down
Geminijo

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:55 am

Hi

Just thought I'd share my journey so far - two weeks and two days after having my band removed - I am still on mushy foods and throw up if I eat anything more solid than that and the past two weeks has been a journey of trying to eat and throwing up regularly (bit like I've still got the band in actually !) so I've reverted to liquid/mushy foods in the hope that it settles down.  It appears that there are a couple of others who have had to take time to get used to eating normally again after having the band out from the fb page - however most people seem to just be able to eat normally after the removal pretty much straight away - unfortunately I wasn't like 'most people'!!  Others experiences with the restriction have taken them between 1 and 3 months to get back to normal.  I'm just looking forward to it for the short time that I will have it before getting sleeved.  I had the band out because it just didn't work for me and I had erratic restriction at times and next to none at others - with no rhyme nor reason as to how it would be.  I lost 22kg and put 13kg back on, and as I have type two diabetes it is really important for me to get to goal weight and after two and half years of living with the band I decided that it had to come out and the sleeve is how I'm going to go to get to the weight I need to be for my optimum health.  Oh as well as having the restriction I developed a haematoma (swelling of fluid) leaking from under the port scar so had to put dressings on a leaking wound and have it swabbed to make sure it wasn't infected - for about 12 days after the op until it finally dried up.  Honestly having the band put in was so much simpler !!!!  Anyway once this restriction settles down and goes away - I will decide on a December or January banding date (when the dr's available to of course!) and move forward with the rest of the process but feel like I'm in limbo at the moment.  On the plus side (yes every cloud has a silver lining!!) I weighed 101kg before having my band out and two weeks later am 97.7kg so although not a huge loss a loss is a loss I guess !!  Not feeling it in my clothes though.

Anyway if anyone else has had a similar experience I'd love to hear how it went for them.
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-03-25

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Mon 19 Aug 2013, 10:37 pm

I saw my GP on Friday and explained why I wanted the band removed and then get a sleeve...he gave me the letters of referral to Dr Jorgensen in Sydney and for Siva here in Canberra. He also included my gall bladder issues so hopefully I can get that whipped out at the same time  

I see Dr Jorgensen on 29 August (next Thursday for my initial consultation) and I also have an appointment to see Siva for a regular catch up on the first Friday of September...it's all happening!!
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 13 Aug 2013, 10:28 pm

Thanks for that Debaria! so glad thing got sorted for you and you are on your way :)

I'm terrified of infections!
Back to top Go down
Debaria

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 13 Aug 2013, 9:49 am

Hi Kazbo.
I had the band in 2003. I lost weight iniatially but overtime put it back on less about 10 kg. I ad no problems with the band or any signs there was a problem - other than constant reflux. I was buying so many over the counter meds that the chemist said I should get it checked out. So I got a referral to have a gastrophy with a dr. A friend who also has the lapband said I should go back to the surgeon who did the sleeve. So that's what I did. My band had eroded into my stomach and had to come out. The removal of the band was ok - quite sore where the port came out. I went home the next day. At home I started feeling unwell so I ended up at emergency and after blood tests was admitted because of infection. I spendt 6 days in hospital and ended up having my wound reopened -very nasty and painfull. So after all that I thought no way am I going back in for a sleeve. Well after trying to be good which was near impossible as I was now free to eat what I wanted and as much as I like I quickly went back to my original weight. Tat was it I booked in and I am now nearly 6 weeks post op. I had no problems and was only in hospital two days and have had no complications. It was scary but I am happy that I got the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 13 Aug 2013, 9:24 am

thanks for your responses! much appreciated
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:53 am

Hi Kazbo, I had my band removed in March and had my sleeve done just over 6 weeks ago, so ar I have lost 13 Kgs . I have had a good run with no complications.
They say we won't lose as quick as virgin sleevers because our bodies are already use to restrictions, but nobody really knows why it is so.
There are some on here who have reached their goal after band/ sleeve.
Good luck and welcome
Love Btgirl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:35 am

Hi Kazbo welcome to GSS :)

You made mention of virgin sleeves loosing easier than revisional sleeve. Really? Never heard of that before.
Sorry that's all I was going to say as I haven't been done yet (6 days to go woohooo) so can't answer all your other concerns.
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:30 am

Hi All

I hope someone responds as I see this thread is a little quiet at the moment...

I want to get my band removed and get a sleeve done. I'm currently talking to 3 clinics - my current clinic where I got my banding done, a clinic in Sydney and a clinic in Wagga Wagga (I live in Canberra).

Those of you who have gone through this procedure, can you please let me know what your experiences were? Did you have any complications or problems? what were they?
Have you been able to lose the weight with the sleeve?

I was told by a clinic that they best I can expect is to get down to my best banded weight (I currently weigh 98 kgs, my best banded weight was 94 kgs). I realise that the weight loss is slower with a revisional sleeve than a virgin sleeve so I'm not expecting miracles/a speedy weight loss. the same clinic also reminded me that the risk of complications is increased with a revisional sleeve as opposed to a virgin sleeve (10-12% risk as opposed to a 1-2% risk of leakage).

Would you do it again? Are you happy with your decision to have the revisional sleeve?

Long term, what have been your experiences with this procedure?
Back to top Go down
TNT

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-05-08

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Wed 08 May 2013, 3:05 pm

wecannotknow wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Just signed up tonight (I mean this morning). I was banded by Dr Craig Taylor back in January. Dr Taylor is outstanding professional and a very pleasant character. I've enjoyed reading all the posts where patients of his have drooled over "Dr Blue Eyes"!

The banding was textbook perfect. But over time food and fluid have been sticking even with the band at rest. I'll put my hands up to having "cheated the band" on and off but the last few months have been rough with fillings and un-fillings.

The band I just don't work together. That said, as a Registered Nurse I have seen lots of people for whom it has worked wonders and they have had little to no trouble. Dr Taylor has a particularly excellent record with successful bands and is very well respected professionally.

I saw Craig almost 2 weeks ago and stated "I want the gastric sleeve". Craig was pleased to discuss this and encouraged me to do some extra reading (I said medical journals, he suggested forums). We talked it over and decided to push ahead with a removal.

I'm booked in at The Mater this Monday for the band to be yanked out (gently and carefully)! Craig has directed 3 months of healing before he will do the sleeve so "the stomach can flatten out and everything heal properly".

So here goes, I can't wait to have the band gone and to enjoy some proper meals again. I also want the 3 months to zoom past so I can get on with life as it has been depressing year with no improvements in my life, career or wellbeing.

2011 is going to be a great year!

All the best,

Andrew

Hi, i had almost the same story however am still giving the sleeve a though so i hope you can tell me how did it go with you.
Back to top Go down
BaggLady

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-03-21

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:33 pm

My name is Val and I am new to this site.

I had Vertical Banded Gastroplasty back in 1984. I walked into the hospital at 256 lbs. I had to do a liquid diet for 8 weeks. I lost 60 lbs the first 10 weeks. I got down to 125 lbs and I looke sick, altho I felt great. Gall bladder came out the following year , almost to the day.
I like most had a lot of problems and I still do today, with food getting stuck and hurting to the point of vomiting to get it out.
Today I am at 195 lbs and I am in the testing mode for the sleeve.
I am so excited and nervous at the same time.
I was told I failed the surgery and my surgeon for the sleeve said the " surgery failed me" and the type I had is now considered obsolete.
I will keep you all posted
Back to top Go down
randaltoys

Male
Registration date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: The band saga   Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:34 am

Banded in Aug 2004 at 186kgs
Got down to 106kgs in 2006
Lots of problems vomiting and asking for the band to be loosened
by 2010 i was around the 165kgs mark
Hernia detected Sep 2012
The hernia dragged the tube from the band through the diaphragm wall
I have photos to boot
Band removed Mar 2013 weight 1 week pre surgery 171kgs
Seeking consult with new doctor to get sleeve, not liking the $6000 quoted price tag
not
Back to top Go down
BFSCOTT
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:52 am

Yep I had my band removed in April this year after putting up with it for 10yrs, initially I lost around 60kg and it was working fine, but like most I spent a lot of time vomiting after eating (bloody food would get stuck and made life uncomfortable). I had a lot of trouble getting the band adjusted right, sometimes it was good for a day or 2 then it was like it wasn't there, or they would put too much in and I couldn't get saliva down let alone any food, consequently I would get dehydrated and end up in all sorts of trouble.

In the end it was discovered that it leaked from the port joint, it was repaired and was good for a few mths then the same bloody thing, a few days of restriction then open slather again. So here I am looking at getting the Sleeve done, I just hope it works as I'm getting over this weight problem and all the crap that goes with it.

The Sleeve sounds like the op to have as far as I can tell, lots of people here seem to have had great results - time will tell if it works for me or not.

Cheers
Scott
Back to top Go down
Shiloh86

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:43 am

Hi all, My names Rebecca, I was banded 15th Feb 2011 I Lost 30kgs and not a kg more. I vomitted nearly every day but thought this was normal and i was losing weight so woo hoo ! Right? WRONG! Anyways it started taking its toll on me and my family, my 2 yr old son started mimicking my standing while eating, holding my arms up in the air while eating, VOMITTING (just the motions not physically vomittiing) Hubby started calling me belemic, and going out for a meal was a NO GO!

So this yeah i started vomitting in my sleep and almost drowning, was horrific and then the relux started, all day and into the night. AND I WAS OVER IT! so i marched to my surgeon and said i want it out ! Give me the sleeve now and CHEAP! So the band was removed last tuesday 19/6/12 and it bloody hurts more than having the band put in. I also do not recommend the band to anyone. Its harder than ya typical diet! Im booked in for 29th aug this year for the sleeve and kinda packin my pants !!! But i need it bad. Ive gained 5kgs since 2 weeks before my band out as he took all fluid out due to it possibly being slipped. (wasnt) He just said after some time people just can handle the fills anymore and he thinks thats whats happened to me. So bring on the sleeve and may i have no problems at all!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Katie1975

Female
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: My band   Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

I had my band fitted in 2007 and for first 8 months went well then first port flip 2months later another flip.
Infection got into port when second port flipped.
12 ops later, 2 hospital stays on morphine, trying to convince my dr it was the band making me sick, 2 second opinions dr finally removed my band felt great from next day once out. Have now been 3 yrs and I finally convinced myself that I need the sleeve so off to get op date next week.
I am just amazed as to how many people r having the same problems with their bands and they continue to insert them. I think more needs to be done and some of the drs performing these operations need to look at their practices and there dealings with patients.
Back to top Go down
blueeyednursey

Female
Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Just had my band out   Wed 28 Mar 2012, 8:28 am

Hi everyone, Im a newbie to this site having just had my lap band removed on Monday 26th of March. Just got released from hospital this afternoon. I have had my lap band in for 3yrs 4 mths. During that time I have lost 46 kilos however I have hated every minute of the band. I cannot eat bread, rice, pasta, meat etc. I cannot remember the last time I had a piece of toast. I cannot remember the last time I had a nice BBQ chop. I can't remember the last time I went out to dinner....whats the point. It's horrible. Anyway the band is gone now and I have 8 weeks to wait until I can get my sleeve done. My band had well and truely adhered to my stomach, my stomach had adhered to my liver there was a lot of scar tissue and adhesions which made for a very difficult band removal according to my surgeon. He was hoping to do the sleeve at the same time but because of all the bleeding from my liver he couldn't really see what he was doing....so now he count down begins and i so so so hope i can refrain from putting on any weight over the next 8 weeks :)
Back to top Go down
kellycw

Female
Registration date : 2012-01-13

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:45 am

Wow, I'm still tossing up between band and sleeve (and even considering the RNY bypass) for my surgery (I'm 128kg, BMI 44.8).

Doesn't sound like much fun having to go from one operation to another one later on! Certainly putting me off the band anyway, listening to these stories, although I've heard even sleeve patients sometimes need another operation.

Anyone know someone with a sleeve that needed it redone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:41 pm

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread.. but thought I'd share my journey...

Feb 2005 (16yrs old) I got Lapband done by Dr Dumbrell at Baulkham Hills Private Hospital, I was 110 kg and gaining quickly... Up until then my parents had tried everything, diets, gyms, i'd lose 5kg and gain 10kg!

I found Dr Dumbrell horrible... He didnt explain anything and after my surgery when I would go to him with problems or concerns, he wouldnt say anything or look into it.

I was throwing up from word go and this continued for years (6 and a half years to be exact!)
Dr Dumbrell just kept saying I was eating the wrong foods, or that I was eating too fast.... and finally, he started saying that it was all in my head!!!

I lost the weight within 2 years, I went from being 110KG to 50KG... I was still throwing up all of my food!!!

In august 2009 I decided to transfer to Dr Jorgensen at St George Private Hospital, and I felt great... He spoke to me like I was a human not a thing, he explained things to me... he sent me for XRAYS!!!!!

I then found out I was pregnant, and went to see dr Jorgensen with my xrays that had been done, he explained that my band had slipped (He says he believes it has been slipped from the get go)

Dr Jorgensen wanted me to have the baby, then return to schedule my band removal.
I gave birth to my gorgeous son on the 21st May via emergency C-section, and then had to wait another 3 months for an infection to heal.

Dr Jorgensen removed my band on the 13th August 2011, said that my stomach is in a horrible state due to the 6 and a half years of constant throwing up... told me to return in 6 months time and we will schedule my sleeve... He asked to wait 6 months so we could give my stomach a chance to heal from the band.

Throughout my pregnancy I went from 50KG to 90 KG, then after the band removal I went from 90 KG to 110 KG within a months time..

I went back to Dr Jorgensen on the 5th Jan 2012 and told him I cant live like this anymore, he checked me over asked alot of questions then booked me in for my sleeve operation for 1st Feb 2012...

1 week left to go and im very excited... I cant wait to get my life back on track and be healthy for my son

I return to work 2 weeks after my sleeve so hopefully the recovery wont be too bad.. Dr Jorgensen did warn me that recovery may be hard for me because of the extensive damage to my stomach...

I wouldn never recommend the band OR Dr Dumbrell to anyone...

Back to top Go down
3182debbie

Female
Registration date : 2012-01-17

PostSubject: This is my first time here, I had a slipped band January 2011 and was so very sick ,and was glad to see it go but i loved the weight lost but it was always so tight and i was vomiting all the time , Then i had a gastric sleeve in Sept 2011 but i dont seem   Tue 17 Jan 2012, 7:18 am

Suzy Blue wrote:
OMG Chickaboomboom

What an ordeal you have been thru. That dam band has caused you so many problems. Take care of yourself and plenty of rest. Roll on the sleeve!!!!!.......2012

Suzy Blue

(Please keep us posted)
Back to top Go down
chickaboomboom

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-11-30

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:28 pm

OMG Flick thats terrible - i am really worried about scar tissue - i am 1 week post op and where the port was - (the biggest cut) is really painful and realllllllly hard under the skin i was acutally concerned that i had a hernia - but my local gp says it just scar tissue as the have cut in the same place twice and had to sew me up and will take time to heal - soooo i wonder whatthe hell the scaring is like where the band sat in place ????? i am terrified of having more than the 3 nights in hospital as i never feel better in hospital -cant sleep - ect ... plus i need to be back at uni on the 23rd of feb - 2 weeks after the op !!!!

i soooo hope that mine goes ok ???
Back to top Go down
flick

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-07-12

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 4:52 am

Hi Chickaboomboom

I too had the band from hell, too tight or not tight enough. Lots of meals spent in the toilets, you know all of that stuff.

Any way I had the band removal after 13 years and it went smoothly and I didn't find it that bad at all, BUT when I had the sleeve done in Oct this year I ended up being on the table for 3 hours instead of the 1 1/2 that I was told due to all of the scarring from the band. Dr Taylor had to basically double stich up where the scarring was really bad as he was worried about the posability of a leak as the scars where really thick. I then stayed in hospital for 8 days instead of 2-3 and had the drain in for all of that time and was on nil by mouth the whole time as well.

It sucked then but I am now glad he took the extra precautions as I have been cruising along really well since then. I have to say that even after the rocky start the sleeve is 1 million times better than the band. Good luck and I hope that the sleeve for you goes well.

Flick
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:10 am

OMG Chickaboomboom

What an ordeal you have been thru. That dam band has caused you so many problems. Take care of yourself and plenty of rest. Roll on the sleeve!!!!!.......2012

Suzy Blue

(Please keep us posted)
Back to top Go down
chickaboomboom

Female

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Sat 17 Dec 2011, 5:09 am

Hi everyone

i had my band out on wed the 14th dec and it was horrible - my liver had stuck to the band also and woke up with a drain in - being a 3rd year nursing student i new things had not gone exactly to plan !! - any way to explained that he has managed to get band out but was more difficult due to the liver being stuck to it - he is still happy to do the sleeve on the 8th feb - but he is aware that it will be a bit more difficult due to scare tissue ect .... i am finally feeling better today but ended up having to be in hospital 2 days due to BP droping very low !! severe pain - read some where that others that had the band out said it was worse than having the sleeve done is this true ??? god i hope so as having band out was heaps worse than having it put in !!!
Back to top Go down
chickaboomboom

Female

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:25 am

great i am coming over lol !!!
Back to top Go down
Firie75
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:59 pm

Hey congrats Chicka! Come across to the Feb sleevers group in the sleevers monthly! We would love to hear all about you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   

Back to top Go down

From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: