Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Mon 31 May 2010, 10:33 am

Yes white medical tape gives me a rash. I was fortunately given something else during my surgery.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
DancingOnTheInside
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Mon 31 May 2010, 10:26 am

I'm allergic to most of the pink sticking plasters used and they washed the betadine off my tummy once I was settled in my ward. The nurse told me that most people who have a reaction to sticking plaster usually react to the betadine too so they remove it as soon as they can. I'm ok with antibiotcs though.

I found that after about 3days the clear waterproof dressings that were used over my cannula sites were starting to itch too, and was happy when it was removed. Another one was covering my drain wound since Saturday and by the time I got home from work tonight I just had to get it off, have a very gentle scratch and tape myself up with something else.

x
Doti
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Mon 31 May 2010, 10:20 am

applesauce wrote:
not a medical fact here just an observation told to me by the nurse doing my red stickers. she saw a LOT of people who where alergic to sticky being alergic to antibiodics and betedine. I never thought to ask my GP about it.

applesauce

thats me---- allergic to antibiotics (penicillin), betadine (iodine) and sticky plasters!!!!!

I take an antihistamine (Zyrtec) to relieve the itch if I have to use sticky plasters!
Back to top Go down
Manzie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 878
Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Mon 31 May 2010, 9:21 am

Hi all,

I had a reaction as well!! I used barrier cream (the stuff used for nappy rashes) - the best one is Sudo cream available from any chemist. I was very careful not to get it inside the wound - just on the red itchy parts. It helped big time.

Cheers,
Manzie

Height: 164cm, Age: 32
Sleeved: Tuesday, 18 May, 2010
Starting weight: 117.5kgs
Day of surgery weight: 113kgs
Current weight: 108.3kgs
Weeks since surgery: Almost 2 down! :)
Surgeon: The wonderful Dr Michael Talbot, St George Private Hospital
Back to top Go down
TJ

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Fri 07 May 2010, 1:56 am

I did take a photo Caz, but I definately will not be sharing it!! My big mound of white flab covered in bandaids is not at all attractive.

The rash is slowly going away and isn't as itchy anymore, but I am still having trouble wearing a bra. I really had know idea so many people reacted to these things.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Thu 06 May 2010, 12:00 pm

not a medical fact here just an observation told to me by the nurse doing my red stickers. she saw a LOT of people who where alergic to sticky being alergic to antibiodics and betedine. I never thought to ask my GP about it.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Thu 06 May 2010, 11:55 am

I've put my hand up as well to the allery to the plasters. Although they did use one this time that seemed okay. I think it was a hydrocolloid dressing of some kind.

And to top it off I'm also allergic to Keflex and doxycycline, the standard antibiotics they like to give whilst in theatre to help eliminate the risk of infection.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Thu 06 May 2010, 12:15 am

Oh Teresa - definitely take a piccie of your tummy with all the Barbie bandaids - even if you don't share it, it will make a very smile-worthy memory!

Made me smile just to think of it.
Back to top Go down
TJ

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 11:51 pm

Wow, I didn't think it was so comman. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it is at its worst after a shower. I have all of my dressings off now, and my tummy is covered in Barbie bandaids (thats all we have in the house at the moment).

I am planning on going out today, it will be the first time I have worn a bra since the surgery, I know it is going to itch like mad.

Thanks for all the advice on creams and lotions, I am defiantely going to the chemist today.

Teresa
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 2:21 pm

another one..geez we are common arent we!

nice red hats heh!

I would suggest you use cornflour. I use that on all my children's nappy rash and worked well... natural and dries it out....if not ring your surgeon or hospital...
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 1:00 pm

do NOT put betedine on these. it is the worst thing you could do. it will dry it ouy not to mention the number of people who are alergic to BOTH tape and betedine.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 11:11 am

I am also very allergic to all the tapes and patches that they use in the hospital. I ended up with these huge waterproof patches on my tiny incisions as I couldnt tolerate anything else.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 10:23 am

YES big time, try using bedadine over the scars! Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
trinity74tim

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 9:48 am

I am allergic too, and wore the red hat. I had a bad reation to the Diothermy (Spelling?) patch. I had never had one used before. The hospital said next time to come in for a patch test of all the plasters 1week before. The diothermy patch stops you getting burnt in surgery, sort of glad they used it!
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 9:36 am

I also have allergies to the tape. I actually ripped my skin off when I pulled one lot of tape off. You see, I'd forgotton about the tape...
D'oh
I find calamine lotion helps with the itch. Any antihistimine based cream is good. Also moisturiser is good. If you don't have anything, then ice is your friend. Anything to cool down the area helps reduce the itch. I ended up having to use bandaids instead of the tape.
Had no choice! As long as something makes it stick, all is good.
Hope it works for you.
RG
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 5:53 am

I should add an antihistimine tablet can not hurt. Just from memory tho the ones that work best with allergies like this are the ones that make you sleepy.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 5:41 am

Like Applesauce, I already knew I was allergic to the tapes they use too so when I let them know they put a red alert armband on me and a red hat instead of the usual blue lol.
Back to top Go down
Kaz23

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 4:21 am

I reacted the same way to the dressings they used on my tummy. I didn't put anything on the rash and it went away by itself...but it is horribly itchy.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 3:38 am

Next time you go to hosptial tell them you are alergic they put a big warning on you. I already knew I was alergic to just about any tape they use. I found the best way to treat it is even tho painful to make sure you wash off every last trace of the glue left behind then what you are doing now curash or if it is nasty red maybe some calamin lotion.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
TJ

Female

PostSubject: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   Wed 05 May 2010, 1:07 am

My tummy is covered all over with this red welt kind of rash that is itchy like crazy, at the moment I am using Nappy rash cream on it because that is all I have in the house, but I would love your suggestions on what to use on it, it is driving me so mad. Only advise I got from my Dr's office was to take the dressings off and use normal bandaids, they didn't say anything about how to get rid of the rash....fast!

Thanks
Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??   

Back to top Go down

Anyone else allergic to all the adhesive tapes used at the hopsital??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: