View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Felly

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Fri 12 May 2017, 11:57 am

Hi guys, 
I'm doing well, onto puree food too. I tried a scrambled egg yesterday and could only manage about 2/3 of it which seems so funny to me. 
I'm down almost 9kg which is great considering how hard it would have been to lose that much without the surgery.
Back to top Go down
Gleni

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2017-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Fri 12 May 2017, 5:20 am

Hi Willbec,
Great to hear you are doing well!
It's amazing how transitioning in our diet is so exciting!
I'm allowed soft foods now which is making me fell more like an adult and normal.....very exciting...ha,ha!
Everything going great here:655232:
Hope you're going great too Felly!
Back to top Go down
willbec

Female
Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Thu 11 May 2017, 12:52 pm

How's things been going for you this past few weeks Felly?

Gleni have you moved on to your puree foods yet? I'm really looking forward to the puree stage which is something I never though I'd say lol. One more week of liquids to go for me (3wks in total).
Back to top Go down
Felly

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Sun 30 Apr 2017, 12:41 pm

Hi willbec and Gleni, 

Good to hear you're both home and doing well. Nausea sucks, but good that you're through it now. This was my first surgery so wasn't sure what to expect. 

I'm on thin fluids this week (goes through a fork) and thicker fluids next week. I'm saving yoghurt as a treat for next week although I'm sure I could find a runny one if I really wanted to. 
Congrats on the jeans and weight loss so far. 
I actually haven't weighed myself yet, was going to do it this morning but forgot. I like to do it first thing in the morning so will try to remember tomorrow. 

I actually slept on my right side last night which was great as I usually never sleep on my back. 
And probably TMI but bowels are moving too...
Back to top Go down
willbec

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Sun 30 Apr 2017, 11:29 am

Hi guys, I am 3 days post op and just got home this afternoon. I had a few hiccups along the way (severe nausea) which I was expecting as I have it with all my surgeries. I ended up in ICU the first night but was taken to ward on Friday and was only allowed to suck ice until I'd had my barium swallow today. Consequently it ended up being 96hrs/4 days from when I last ate to today and so I've lost 4.8kg since my weigh in the day before surgery. Aside from the cup of tea I had at lunchtime I have only just tried my first soup which was steady going. I feel like I have a hard lump in my chest which I suspect is just air but hopefully after a good nights sleep in my own bed I'll be feeling like my next chapter has really started tomorrow. Great to hear you're both doing so well Gleni & Felly!!
Back to top Go down
Gleni

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Sun 30 Apr 2017, 2:55 am

Great to great to hear that you are recovering so well Felly!!!!
Sounds like you can tolerate the clear fluids...are you moving on to full fluids yet? I was about to go on to full fluids from the 4th day without a prob....much more satisfying!

I'm on Day 12 and feel fantastic...from Day 9 post Op any slight discomfort had disappeared and I was able to sleep unassisted with my friendly pillow on my tummy etc. No nausea, burps or spasms.

Just returned this morning from having a 'child size health protein banana shake at my fav Organic cafe(+long macchiato).....a healthy 1 hour walk (return) away! Couldn't finish all my shake....so hubby drank the rest. 

I feel that I'm growing more in tune with my new tummy recognising when I'm full...then stopping, sipping and being mindful of what I'm consuming eg healthy homemade soups, shakes etc. Still adding benefibre to my drinks as my daily bowl habits are no more.

The most enjoyable part is watching the weight fall off each day. Tried on an old pair of jeans today that I couldn't squeeze into a a month ago.....yay!!!!!!!

Enjoy your new journey Felly xx
Back to top Go down
Felly

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:25 am

Hi guys, 
Had my surgery on Wednesday and just got home earlier today. Feeling pretty good. 
First day post op I pretty much didn't have any pain or nausea, very lucky. 
Second day I was having random bouts of nausea but the lovely nurses were great to get on top of that. 
Third day feeling better again and very excited to be given the go ahead to have some apple juice. 
Fourth day I was home by midday and left to my own devices. I've had some pear juice with water and benefibre for morning snack; vegetable stock for lunch and apple juice with water and WPI for afternoon snack. 
One thing I learnt the hard way was to not swallow any air when you're having your sips, painful!
And hiccups feel very strange, not sure if I was going to burp or what... 
Hope everybody else's post op is going well too.
Back to top Go down
willbec

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Tue 25 Apr 2017, 4:01 am

Thanks Gleni, so pleased to hear everything has gone well for you as I've been wondering how you were travelling.

Felly you're very lucky to not to have had to do the opti lol. I am also around 38 but had to do 4wks of it although it hasn't gone as well as I had hoped so hopefully all will be okay for me on Thursday. Good luck with yours tomorrow, keep us posted when you're feeling up to it.
Back to top Go down
Gleni

Female

PostSubject: Good luck!   Tue 25 Apr 2017, 12:19 am

All the very very best for your upcoming  ops Willbec and Felly!!!

I'm exactly 1 week post op and feeling great just a little sore but that's fading. I've posted my op experience under the the topic 'Op Report ' which included a few tips (learned the hard way!). Otherwise everything went very smoothly!

I already feel I'm travelling a new path in life and excited to think all of you will share the same wonderful experience!xxx:43227:
Back to top Go down
Felly

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Mon 24 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

Almost there now. In less than 48 hrs I'll be post op... 
I haven't had to do the optifast diet. My surgeon said it's because I have a (relatively) low BMI of 37/38. 
Starting to get abit nervous now :-\
Back to top Go down
Ezzareno

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Wed 19 Apr 2017, 8:50 am

By the law of averages you will loose about 70% of your excess weight. You might loose all of it but, a) you will have to be careful/very strict with your diet and exercise and b) if you have extra skin (which I do) it can add 5kg or so to your weight (which means you have to be even thinner to be in a healthy bmi). I think a good approach is size. For example, sure I want to have a normal bmi, but I am actually aiming for a size 12/14. My current bmi is 29.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Gaivota

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Wed 19 Apr 2017, 8:44 am

I am also having my gastric sleeve in April.  It is booked for the 26th.  As it was only booked on the 18th I do not have a lot of time to be on the optifast diet which is a little concerning.

I have put off this decision for 2 years however when I finally decided to go ahead with it it has all come together quickly.  I have not had to see a psychologist or a nutritionist or do a gastroscopy.  All I had to do was a barium swallow which I have on Friday and some blood tests.

Ezzareno,  your story inspires me as I would like to lose 45kg even though the doctor says that it is much more realistic to aim to lose 28-30 which would still leave me overweight.  I guess he is trying to get me to manage my expectations.

Has anyone else been told that they are unlikely to get down to a "normal" BMI?
Back to top Go down
willbec

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Mon 17 Apr 2017, 7:37 am

Thanks Ezzareno, this is where I'll have to be careful as I am a snacker as well as eating portions that are too large at main meals. 

Hi Felly, wow so you're one day before me. How's your pre-surgery diet going?

Oh Gleni I am so excited for you, less than 24hrs to go :). I can only imagine the mixed feelings you've had in the past few days. I have had so many thoughts like.....will I ever be able to eat the foods I love again (I know right, that is what got me into this position in the first place) and just not knowing how I feel about the lifestyle change afterwards. I guess I'm scared I'll fail and be one of those ones who puts the weight back on. 

I've tried not to look for the complications because like you I know it will get me feeling a bit nervous and doubting what I am doing.  I am however quite concerned about the anaesthetic and how I'll be coming around. I have had several operations previously and have come out vomiting horrifically after a majority of them. Unfortunately I am still being sick for a few days afterwards too. I suspect it's a combination of the anaesthetic as well as the pain relief.

Wishing you the very best of luck for your big day tomorrow Gleni, can't wait to hear how it all went xx
Back to top Go down
Gleni

Female

PostSubject: Op tomorrow...scary!   Mon 17 Apr 2017, 3:50 am

Hi everyone,
To think this time tomorrow I'll be recovering from my sleeve op is very surreal! I thought I was pretty well on top of things leading up to the big day (Tuesday 18th April) but I've been very emotional over the long weekend ( poor hubby!). At one time I was questioning whether I should be going through with it!

I've been reading the complications postings on this site which are quite alarming but came to the conclusion that these are only a very tiny percentage overall and are often associated with other existing medical conditions.

I think also the thought of my stomach being permanently two thirds cut away forever is rather freaky...however long term Sleevers seem to adapt to a change of lifestyle eating habits with no regrets! I hope I will be one of those people in years to come!

The main thing that has kept me bouncing back is the thought of never being the same weight again ever again.   I am so determined to abide with eating healthy and exercising and not just relying on the sleeve as a magic bullet.  Already have my healthy protein soups made for my post recovery! 

I'm also recovering from a cold which doesn't help matters...hopefully I'll be given the thumbs up for surgery by the Anaesthetist. ...I expect so as there's no secondary chest infection etc.

All the very best to those who are awaiting for surgery and I'll give you an update post op:-)
Back to top Go down
Felly

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Sat 15 Apr 2017, 3:20 pm

Hey willbec, I'm booked in for April 26th with Dr Jon Armstrong in Perth. Can't believe it's nearly here. 
My blood tests showed up iron deficiency which has regularly been an issue for me. I'm having an iron infusion while I'm under GA to sort that out. 
Good luck 
Back to top Go down
Ezzareno

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Fri 14 Apr 2017, 7:16 am

For me my vsg has worked really well. I have lost 52kg in 1 year (125kg down to 73kg), and that is where my weight has stopped for now. My problems involved eating large amounts of food in one sitting, so having these restrictions has worked well for me. If I was a constant snacker I don't think it would have worked as well (for me)
Back to top Go down
willbec

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Fri 14 Apr 2017, 6:06 am

Hi Ezzareno, yes only 13 days to go now :)

As far as the prep goes I have to be honest and admit to falling off the wagon a couple of times this week. I had my pre-surgery appointment on Monday and my surgeon told me how happy he was with my 4kg (over 10 days) loss and that he'd be more than happy if I were to only lose another 2-3kg. I think sub-conciously I saw this as a green light to cheat on a few meals and even sneak a few little easter eggs but am trying hard to get back on track now.

Other than high cholesterol coming up in my bloods and mild obstructive apnea/hypopnea coming up in my sleep study all other tests came back fine.

If you don't mind me asking how are you finding things now being over a year post-op? My biggest fears are not losing as much as I hope for and also regaining down the track.
Back to top Go down
Ezzareno

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Thu 13 Apr 2017, 8:19 am

Hey! Not long now till the big day.

How are you going with the prep?
Back to top Go down
willbec

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 1:24 am

?? of course I researched the risks....at the same time I researched the benefits. If you're going to ask those sorts of questions you might like to elaborate.
Back to top Go down
Sayedadawy22

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 1:04 am

You search about risk in google
Back to top Go down
willbec

Female

PostSubject: Sleeve date - 27th April   Thu 23 Mar 2017, 12:06 pm

I am booked for surgery on 27th April with Dr Sam Baker in Townsville (North Qld).  All my pre surgery investigations are booked for next week (dietician, psychologist, endoscopy, sleep study) and I'm yet to do my bloods. 

I start on the optifast phase end of next week as well which I am not really looking forward to.  All for a good cause though so shouldn't complain.  It's all still quite surreal to me because I've pondered on doing it for a few years now and suddenly it's happening!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve date - 27th April   

Back to top Go down

Sleeve date - 27th April
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: I've got my sleeve date!-
Jump to: