Super release AFTER having surgery

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laloopsy

Female
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:42 am

Oh that's super news JMO - that's exactly what I was hoping! Wow, 8 weeks and 20kgs- you must feel awesome just in time for the heat?! My surgery date is 26th this month- I desperately want to be lighter by the sweltering brisbane February!
Back to top Go down
JMO

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:35 am

Laloopsy all went AOK...once approved by dhs super don't go researching if you've already paid 😊 so I didn't have to fork out, and 8 weeks later I'm 20kgs lighter. Winning
Back to top Go down
Laloopsy

Female
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Sat 08 Nov 2014, 3:45 am

JMO I am eager to know how you went with your surgery being pre paid and getting your super released to repay your mum? Has anyone paid on their credit card before the DHS approved their release ?
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2014-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Tue 09 Sep 2014, 8:08 am

JMO wrote:
Thanks PC!! DHS have approved my application and sending out my approval letter today. So I should receive it Wed or Thursday. Does the letter say the date of your surgery?? I'm hoping not, as my surgery is tm, and my mums fronted the bill, with hopes of me being approved!! Otherwise I would've had to wait months ...
Wow great to know how prompt they are!!

The date of the surgery is completely irrelevant to CFS and it's barely relevant to DHS.  I don't recall their letter saying anything of the sort.

Just organise a certified copy of your ID (unless you have already got your signature on file with CFS) and make a regular photocopy of their letter for your own records (not essential but good for peace of mind), and get CFS to E-mail you the form they want you to fill out for early release, which you'll also need to print out & complete.  It's about half a dozen pages but entire sections of it are irrelevant, as the form is used for lots of different reasons, not just specified compassionate grounds.

The big decision you have to make is whether you want the funds withdrawn equally from all your super fund selections or whether you want the funds to come out of a specific fund.  I just chose the easy option.

Also, you'll notice a substantial extra amount, over and above what you will see in your bank account, is removed from your super fund (a few extra thousand), to cover taxes.  I think that'll have to go into next year's tax return, but as the taxes will have already been paid out of your super, you won't get slugged again at your next tax return.
Back to top Go down
JMO

Female

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Tue 09 Sep 2014, 7:29 am

Thanks PC!! DHS have approved my application and sending out my approval letter today. So I should receive it Wed or Thursday. Does the letter say the date of your surgery?? I'm hoping not, as my surgery is tm, and my mums fronted the bill, with hopes of me being approved!! Otherwise I would've had to wait months ...
Wow great to know how prompt they are!!
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture

Male

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Tue 09 Sep 2014, 7:09 am

JMO wrote:
Anyone had a successful release from colonial first state super???

Yes, I got the funds through from CFS late last week.  

CFS was the easy part.  One form, plus certified copies of my ID, plus the original letter from DSS saying my early release was approved.  They took the better part of a week (I posted it Friday morning 29/8, the registered letter arrived Monday morning, and was processed on Thursday lunchtime, and was in my bank Thursday evening 4/9).

The DSS part that led up to me getting their approval letter, on the other hand, took hours to sort out the paperwork & three and a half weeks to get their approval.
Back to top Go down
JMO

Female

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Tue 09 Sep 2014, 7:03 am

Anyone had a successful release from colonial first state super???
Back to top Go down
Brooke30

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Mon 01 Sep 2014, 8:02 pm

Great info thankyou, I def couldn't pay 23k in 12 months , I phoned yesterday they still haven't looked at it  so I'm approaching 6 weeks this week . Hopefully hear something the end of this week .

Very stressful not knowing - I'm also now starting to stress about surgery - can I do this ? 

I started smoking again & keep telling myself once I get the letter I'll stop - can I do it - I have to!!!

Give me strength.
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture

Male

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 11:15 pm

Brooke30 wrote:
3 weeks isn't bad then - you have lost a lot of weight already well done how are you feeling ? Any advice ? My date is 7th October if my super isn't approved then no surgery for me I'm a single mum don't have cc & can't afford a personal loan even though I work full time .

I'm so stressed at the thought it won't be - my surgery is 23k :(

If you've already submitted your claim and submitted the extra info they asked for, there's not much you can do now but wait.  The best time to get advice on bureaucratic paperwork is before you submit it.

As yours is $23k you'd have to have an extraordinarily high income for them to reject your claim, regardless of your expenditures.  The big guideline is "can you pay off the amount you're claiming in 12 months with your existing savings and the projected differential between your reported income and your reported expenditures?".  Hardly anybody could possibly fail to tick that box if they're paying the full amount without insurance.  While it's possible they might say no on some other technicality, you can revise everything and submit your claim again in that case.  It'll take another 3-4 weeks at that point, so you might need to delay the surgery if it comes to that, but have a little faith.  Our bureaucrats may be underpaid (DHS is one of the worst paid departments, and Canberra is a very expensive city to live in!) and overworked, but most will do the best they can with the resources they have available, despite the legislation they're forced to work with, and the constant staffing cuts.

It's people with health insurance that need to pay extra special care with their expenditures, to ensure that all (justifiable) expenditures are listed there, so that we don't somehow come up with $8k between what we reported our income as and the expenditures we noted.

I'm feeling some lingering pain today around my stomach.  I think that's a result of stupidly gulping some water at work yesterday.  I wasn't even -that- thirsty.  I bought some new smaller glasses to keep at my desk, to avoid the old habit of gulping water from the big old 1.5L glass V8 juice bottle that I keep there, but I keep forgetting to bring them in...
Back to top Go down
Brooke30

Female

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 10:42 pm

3 weeks isn't bad then - you have lost a lot of weight already well done how are you feeling ? Any advice ? My date is 7th October if my super isn't approved then no surgery for me I'm a single mum don't have cc & can't afford a personal loan even though I work full time .

I'm so stressed at the thought it won't be - my surgery is 23k :(
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture

Male

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 10:35 pm

I checked and rechecked everything they could possibly want was included before I sent it the first time, grateful to have had a lot of guidance from past posts in this forum.  I decided to hold off until 9 days before the op to send it because my GP's letter didn't quite say what I needed it to say and I needed to go back and get him to reword it slightly.  I needed him to add a phrase to the effect of the procedure isn't readily available via the public system.

It then took 3 weeks and 2 days from E-mailing in everything until the approval letter arrived in my snail mail box last Thursday.

Fortunately my credit card has a big interest free period, so I just paid for the surgery on that.  It was a bit of a a surprise that the anesthetist didn't accept credit cards, but as an extra pay fortnight got squeezed in between last month's credit card bill and this month's, I was able to pay that & still have an expectation I could make a significant payment on the card too before the due date in a few weeks (or, once the super finds finally arrive, pay it off).  If they hadn't approved it, I would have been in debt for some time, though I had a few ideas about bouncing the debt across a 2nd card on a balance transfer interest rate rather than pay the full 21%ish rate on my main card the moment the interest free period ended.  I was also going to delay and defer every other bill that I expect to come along (the meds from the hospital on discharge, and the surgeon's assistant) until after my next credit card bill, so I'd get the full interest free period to apply for an extra month.  I'm yet to receive either bill, 2 weeks post-op.  I don't even have a reliable estimate of those bill amounts.

Now I'm waiting for the super fund to process the actual withdrawal.  I called them and found I'd need to also prove my identity as they don't have my signature on file (!) so they wanted a certified copy of my drivers license.  I got that organised on Friday (yesterday) and then I posted the withdrawal form, the DHS letter and said copy to them together.  It should arrive in Sydney on Monday and the funds should presumably hit my bank account a few days later.

Bureaucrats need to tick their boxes.  They work within defined guidelines, and once you have an idea what those guidelines are, and you make sure they can tick every box they need with what you've supplied, then you're fine.

They did however knock down the amount of the claim from the $8000 the surgeon said it might cost down by about $190, presumably because all of the quotes that I sent in tallied up to a slightly lesser amount.  Had I included the GP bill for the first referral letter and the first claim letter (I could only find the GP bill for the 2nd claim letter), I might have been able to get a tiny bit more out.  Still, 98% isn't bad!
Back to top Go down
Brooke30

Female

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 9:21 pm

Jmo I'm at week 5.2 after providing more info 16 days ago I haven't heard a thing. Long process apparently you can escalate if you get a letter from doctor - I don't need to as my op is 5 weeks away (OMG ).

Crap thing is once letter recieved you still have to apply to super - more time. 

Good luck hope it comes quickly
Back to top Go down
JMO

Female

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 4:48 am

Hi...just got told I needed to provide my marriage cert to prove my married name, and so now I'm at the bottom of the pile again. My surgery is in 3 weeks! My mum has offered to pay if I can pay her back. Has anyone had surgery and then had their claim come through still??
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   Sun 27 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm

Hiya Jaime,

I did !

I paid with my credit card and made sure all my bank accounts were empty. Then applied. Was approved no worries.

Good luck with your application.

Hope this helps,
Tara
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Super release AFTER having surgery   Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:39 am

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has had luck with super release after actually having the surgery?  I have heard that you can't ask for it if it's to pay back a loan you got especially for the surgery?

I am hoping someone has had success, if not, back to the drawing board for me :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super release AFTER having surgery   

Back to top Go down

Super release AFTER having surgery
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Accessing your Superannuation-
Jump to: