Seriously considering band to sleeve - for pregnancy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garfield99
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Seriously considering band to sleeve - for pregnancy    Sun 09 Mar 2014, 7:42 am

I've heard at least a year is preferable before pregnancy, but others have fallen pregnant before that time as with the weightloss comes higher fertility.  I don't know how they have continued on with their weight loss journey so maybe some can jump in to let you know their individual progress.  Personally, I don't understand why people just have the baby, then have the surgery (after weaning etc) as you are having major surgery to lose weight and you want to give it every shot at it, so falling pregnant not long which can hamper your weight loss seem contradictory to me....

You will need at least a minimum of 3 months to recover from initial surgery, 6 months to get into the pattern of your new eating lifestyle and a year to maintain your new lifestyle and actually get a decent loss and that's if it all goes smoothy and according to plan!!

Also, after band removal, most surgeons prefer 3 month break before doing the sleeve to allow your stomach to heal after being upside down position for however long.  And some banders find their weightloss a bit slower with the sleeve compared to virgin sleevers.

Speak to your surgeon regarding your decision and if you are just wanting to lose a bit of weight to fall pregnant, if so what are some other options that could be better suited for you e.g. gastric balloon etc or if you are wanting to lose a significant amount of weight.

Good luck :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seriously considering band to sleeve - for pregnancy    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 11:40 am

You mind find this video informative.

http://youtu.be/-10cnaFkTbM
Back to top Go down
Minky

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-02-23

PostSubject: Seriously considering band to sleeve - for pregnancy    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 10:40 am

Hello
I currently have had my band for 3 years (this month!)
I started at 111kgs (pre-optifast), was 106kgs pre-op and then a week after the surgery was 103kgs. 
My lowest weight to date is 94kgs. And I am currently 102kgs.

I have struggled with the band from day 1. No matter how much fill was used (which wasn't a great deal because my Dr wasn't too keen to add a lot) I could always eat normally, just a little slower. I have always had a steady hunger too.
I do have the chest pains occasionally, and probably throw up about once a fortnight. Recently went on a cruise and didn't have any fill removed, and ate with no problems at all (in the 5 weeks we were away, just had one incident where I had to leave a meal and go back to the cabin).

I think maybe I was a little naive to think that the band would just make me less hungry and eat less. It hasn't worked like that for me. And yes, I am my own worst enemy in regards to overeating and chocolate.

So now, I am considering having my band removed (regardless) and having the sleeve. 

But my one big question is, how long before one can fall pregnant, or commence fertility treatment post sleeve?

Thanks for reading and any responses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seriously considering band to sleeve - for pregnancy    

Back to top Go down

Seriously considering band to sleeve - for pregnancy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: