Can alcohol cause dumping??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jedda

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Can alcohol cause dumping??   Tue 14 Jan 2014, 12:12 am

well I had a few drinks for my birthday over the week end and everything was good. I make a point of not taking benefibre for the few days leading up and no problems so I am thinking for some reason the benefibre and alcohol together don't mix for me.
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Can alcohol cause dumping??   Sat 11 Jan 2014, 10:39 am

I do think the alcohol may have had a bearing on those occasions but if before the op you only went once a week and now you are managing 3 or more times and this is happening yes I would speak to your Dr.  I will however say that IBS causes people to mess themselves with no notice or very little it is an uncomfortable and yes sometimes embarrassing condition.
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Can alcohol cause dumping??   Sat 11 Jan 2014, 3:01 am

I take benefibre religiously every morning; and have had normal bowel movements always. I started with the odd drink (wish I had never started again as goes down really easy) at twelve months post GS and still have not had what you are speaking of. I do know when I eat certain foods I have this problem; but only occasionally and always make the toilet. Maybe foods effect certain people different ways; and yes your problem needs to be sorted as it is certainly would be embarrassing.
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Can alcohol cause dumping??   Fri 10 Jan 2014, 1:07 pm

Can't help on the BM. I have the opposite problem but yes alcohol can cause dumping and also there are a few medical research papers around stating that 1 drink is equivalent to 3 in a sleever so you must be careful. I know tales of some ending up in wheelchairs at the end of a big night and also needing to watch breath tests too as that one drink now equals 3 in how you metabolise it. So must be careful.....benefibre might have contributed to it too, I'm not sure. As embarrassing as it is, I'd suggest chatting this over with your dietician.

Good luck
XX
Back to top Go down
Jedda

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-05-05

PostSubject: Can alcohol cause dumping??   Fri 10 Jan 2014, 11:56 am

Hi guys,  I have been sleeved for 8 months now and everything is going so good.  I am so happy and wouldn't change a thing. So far I've lost approx 26kg. 94.6 start weight and now 69.5 so far and still losing.  Before surgery I only ever used my bowels once a week but now if I use benefibre it's good and a few times per week. I have never been a big drinker of alcohol and about 3 months after surgery I could only fit about 4 smirnoffs in and then be way too full and uncomfortable and couldn't get drunk.

I drink maybe once a month and find now I can drink about 2 bottles of moscato all up over about 8 or more hours and yes now I'm and shitfaced on that.  Over Xmas I had 2 instances where I had a very embarrassing accident.  1st time I fluffed but didn't realised I had actually followed through with a number 2. My skirt though was saturated I realised an hour later when I went to the toilet. How do u not know u have done that. It felt like I had peed myself it was that wet but I had pooped too.  A week later I felt the need to go to the toilet so rushed and only just made it. OMG though the amount of liquid and bowel motions in the toilet was unbelievable.  Both times I had had benefibre also so not sure if that is the reason. 

My dilemma is though I don't know what's happening all of a sudden when I've never had this problem before of not being able to control my bowel movements. If I'm out and this happens how embarrassing would this be.  This is really embarrassing to ask but I really want to know if anyone else has embarrassingly experienced anything like this out of the blue.  I do also get drunk very quickly now. OMG how embarrassing  Confused

Last edited by Jedda on Tue 14 Jan 2014, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can alcohol cause dumping??   

Back to top Go down

Can alcohol cause dumping??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: