View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kazbo

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Stomachs?    Wed 29 Jan 2014, 7:27 am

MissD wrote:
Hi all - I had my band out in 2009 - put on 30kgs. So had the sleeve done in nov 2013. Obviously there was quite a lot of time to heal in that 4 yrs, but the surgeon still advised me that scar tissue may be an issue, and he didn't know how it would go until we got into surgery. Thankfully all went well, and I'm 2months out from being sleeved. I can honestly say it's AMAZING! There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between the two. When it was time for me to progress to solid food, I was shit scared that food was going to get stuck (thoughts of vomiting and trying to digest bread are still fresh in my mind!) but once I started, i was amazed at what I could eat. I still don't eat bread, but that's not because I can't, I most certainly can - I just find it too filling! To be able to eat normal food, and digest it has been amazing for me - I just eat a much smaller quantity. We all know with the band, what you ate today, you couldn't eat tomorrow for some reason, but with the sleeve, it's nothing like that - it seems to be a regular diet, just in smaller quantities! To those waiting for sleeve surgery - how exciting! Just know that once you're all healed, you'll love it. It's nowhere near as horrific as the band. And if you survive the band, you can most certainly live with the sleeve!

Thanks MissD - it gives me great comfort to hear your story.

Back to top Go down
MissD

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Stomachs?    Mon 27 Jan 2014, 10:12 am

Hi all - I had my band out in 2009 - put on 30kgs. So had the sleeve done in nov 2013. Obviously there was quite a lot of time to heal in that 4 yrs, but the surgeon still advised me that scar tissue may be an issue, and he didn't know how it would go until we got into surgery. Thankfully all went well, and I'm 2months out from being sleeved. I can honestly say it's AMAZING! There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between the two. When it was time for me to progress to solid food, I was shit scared that food was going to get stuck (thoughts of vomiting and trying to digest bread are still fresh in my mind!) but once I started, i was amazed at what I could eat. I still don't eat bread, but that's not because I can't, I most certainly can - I just find it too filling! To be able to eat normal food, and digest it has been amazing for me - I just eat a much smaller quantity. We all know with the band, what you ate today, you couldn't eat tomorrow for some reason, but with the sleeve, it's nothing like that - it seems to be a regular diet, just in smaller quantities! To those waiting for sleeve surgery - how exciting! Just know that once you're all healed, you'll love it. It's nowhere near as horrific as the band. And if you survive the band, you can most certainly live with the sleeve!
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Stomachs?    Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:57 am

you and me both! and I would much rather wait than have a leak or bleed or whatever else can go wrong.

I start optifast in 3 weeks time so I am on the downhill run now!
Back to top Go down
Helga106

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2013-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Stomachs?    Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:02 am

I had to wait 3 months between band removal and sleeving surgery. I was so scared to wait, I wanted it all done at once, but I am glad I did. I had scar's and they needed time to mend themselves. I was lucky that when he went in for my sleeve it was right to go (although he did struggle a little with some of the scar tissue)

As hard as it is to wait, I would try and leave it at least 3 months. The results will come in time. I have heard of the surgery being stopped and I would hate to wake up and be told they couldn't do it.
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Stomachs?    Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:34 pm

Hi Wyld

HOW EXCITEMENT!!! You won't know yourself being band free! and all other band to sleevers have told me that the sleeve is just like life debanded but with a much smaller appetite - YEAH!!

I agree, and I didn't ask further at the time what he meant by sticky stomach...I presume it is all about the scar tissue. My surgeon said he removed some adhesions but others he couldn't because removal would have caused more scarring.

On the upside, I have only gained around 1.5 kgs - it looks and feels like way more but it is only that!

63 days until sleeving baby!!!
Back to top Go down
wyldwitch

Female
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Stomachs?    Tue 31 Dec 2013, 5:55 am

My band comes out on the 14th of Jan - *doing the happy dance* and I just cant wait!

My surgeon is a minimum of 12 weeks wait between surgeries - so hopefully around the end of April I will be getting my sleeve.  Two weeks after band removal I should get my date :)  Kaz - sticky stomach - scar tissue?  Mine said the wait between surgeries is for the scar tissue to soften up which makes the stapling and stitching less prone to a leak.

xx Wyld
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Stomachs?    Fri 27 Dec 2013, 11:43 am

yeah mine prefers to wait 4 months minimum...I am having 17 weeks between surgeries. Another surgeon I saw waits a minimum 6 months, prefers to wait 12 months if possible as the longer we wait, the better and safer it is.

Mine hasn't had any leaks either and I sure as eggs don't plan on being his first!!
Back to top Go down
Fiftiesgirl

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Stomachs?    Fri 27 Dec 2013, 7:54 am

I am having my band removed on feb 24 2014. My surgeon would not consider the sleeve for 3 months after that to allow healing time and to reduce any risk of leakage
He is very adamant with this protocol and has had a 100% success with this.
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Sticky Stomachs?    Fri 27 Dec 2013, 5:17 am

Hi All

my band was removed on 7 November. I saw my surgeon a couple of weeks ago to finalise the details of the sleeve. He told me that if the stomach looks 'sticky' then he wont do the sleeve. He will stop the operation and stitch me up. I will have the option to wait a few more months and try again or go for a bypass.

I assumed and still assume that by 'sticky' he means it is still scarred or 'unpleating' from the band and needs more time to come good.

Has anyone heard of 'sticky stomachs'? if so, what was it?

Has anyone had this happen to them? that they couldn't do the sleeve initially and had to wait and try again?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Stomachs?    

Back to top Go down

Sticky Stomachs?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: